Whether you have never had mold in your home or you simply want to make sure that it will never be a problem again, we have some tips on how to remove it from drywall, prevent its formation and keep your home healthy:
- Ventilate – the ventilation of the house helps to eliminate the humidity and implicitly prevents the appearance of mold and moisture. It is advisable to ventilate each room at least twice a day, but if you can do it more often, do not hesitate.
- Keep your home clean – Do not allow dirt to accumulate in the kitchen. Avoid storing perishables products for too long and make sure to clean your dirty stoves or oven, as well as the walls stained with grease (fat helps to develop mold). Products that have mold can spread the spores and it should not be too difficult for them to find another good place in a dirty kitchen.
- Keep an eye on your bathroom – Of all the rooms in the house, the bathroom is the most susceptible to the appearance of mold, because often the ventilation is insufficient for a space where humidity is intensely generated. We recommend that after each shower/ bath you ventilate the room very. Also, do not leave wet towels in the bathroom and do not use textile carpets – rubber or plastic carpets are more suitable because they do not retain water. If, however, the bathroom is still damp, we recommend installing a powerful fan able to quickly aerate the room and remove the moisture.
- Avoid wrong habits! – Do not dry the laundry in the house, do not keep too many indoor plants and do not wet them excessively.
- If you are in the finishing phase of a home renovation, this is a good time to make sure the walls are well dried before adding the insulation and the finishes. Otherwise, the humidity will be trapped in the walls and will produce mold. There are materials such as insulation, anti-mold additives or other elements designed to prevent the appearance of mold.
How to get rid of mold – traditional methods
- Regular mold removing solutions that can be found in most specialized stores.
- Eco-friendly solutions – there are numerous natural solutions that can also help you get rid of mold from drywall, based on citrus seeds, clove oil, sodium bicarbonate combined with water, or tea tree oil.
- Homemade solutions – Here is a good recipe:
Mix 100ml water, 100ml vinegar, 10ml hydrogen peroxide, one squeezed lemon and 5 teaspoons of baking soda. Use a sprayer to apply this solution to the wall and clean the wall only after a few hours. Repeat if necessary.
Using a dehumidifier – a durable, fast, efficient and professional solution against mold
It is quite clear that moisture is the primary cause of mold. If you remove moisture, you remove the mold. The normal indoor humidity level should be somewhere between 45% and 55%. We recommend using a professional humidity meter to get the most accurate data. If the humidity level exceeds 60%, the risk of mold formation is already very high.
In this case, we recommend the use of a dehumidifier which will reduce the humidity and help eliminating the existent mold.
Sometimes, due to extreme water damage, mold cannot be mitigated using DIY methods. For extreme mold problems, rely on professional mold remediation Denver experts. Your health will depend on it!